Regardless of whether you’re a new rider or an experienced one, you probably know the importance of wearing a helmet. It should be your personal choice to wear, though in most countries you’re required by law to do so.
There are countless of helmets on the market, and they range in style, durability, ease of use and weight. One of the best choices is definitely the Bell Super HD helmet. It’s a durable model coming from a reliable brand, which makes for two out of many reasons why you should check it out.
Continue reading to learn all about this impressive helmet and how it performs.
You Might Love Bell Super DH if…
- You’re looking for a 2-in-1 – many people don’t like committing to a single style, but they also don’t want to have several helmets. If you feel the same way, you’ll love the Super HD because it’s convertible. It comes with a removable chin bar you can remove and fit back on without taking off the helmet.
- Ventilation is critical to you – it’s always important to have proper ventilation to prevent fogging and fatigue during rides. For this reason, Bell included 19 helmet vents, two brow ports, and four chin bar vents. It might sound like a lot, and it is, but it keeps the inside of the helmet fresh and cool at all times.
- You want plenty of features – Bell Super DH is packed with plenty of features to make the performance safer and smoother than ever before. It comes with an adjustable-height visor, X-static padding, large eye port, GoPro mount and much more.
You Might Not Like Bell Super DH if…
- You want a robust helmet – Super DH isn’t quite as big as most other full-face helmets on the market. It doesn’t look as robust, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Still, some people like their full-face models to look bulky and aggressive.
- You want a more secure buckle – this Bell model comes with thin straps that are known to twist and wear out with time. For this reason, they might require frequent replacing. They’re not too tricky to use, but there’s a learning curve, and it takes time getting used to. The large buckle might even irritate your neck over time.
- Ease of use is a priority to you – Bell Super DH is easy to use, but there’s a learning curve to its buckles and overall converting system. It’s a comfortable model, so taking some time to learn how it works might be worth it after all.
Design and Shape
This is a 2-in-1 helmet that converts from full-face to open-face with a simple detachment of the chin bar. It’s designed to be simple and allow easy switching back and forth at all times.
It has an aerodynamic shape to it, so it cuts through the wind with ease. On top of that, it weighs only 1.6 pounds, so it’s comfortable to wear even when you’re riding long distance.
There are more than ten color choices to pick between, making it easier to find the one that matches your bike paint finish. It also comes in three sizes, so make sure to consult with the manufacturer’s chart to figure out which fits you the best.
The general shape is a bit strange since it’s long and narrow, so it might not be the best option for a wide head. It usually doesn’t fit a rounder head shape.
Construction and Materials
This is among the most important things to pay attention to when buying a helmet. When it comes to Bell Super DH, the materials are carefully selected to deliver the utmost durability and resistance.
As we already mentioned, this is a convertible/modular helmet, so you can go between a full-face and open-face at any time. This kind of construction allows convenience and versatility that you don’t get with many other helmets on the market.
Discover the pros and cons to modular and full face.
Removing the chin guard and putting it back on is easy to do and requires no tools. The feature passed rigorous ASTM 1952 testing.
It features the well-known Fusion In-Mold polycarbonate shell along with progressive layering for ultimate resistance and durability. It helps with comfort too since the materials allowed for a lightweight and compact design.
One of the best things about its construction is the X-static padding. It’s thick and comfortable, so you’ll enjoy wearing it even when you’re traveling long-distance.
It has an adjustable visor that allows you to customize the helmet to your face for more comfort and convenience. Also, it’s ideal for adventurers since it’s constructed with a snap-in camera mount.
Super DH helmet has superior ventilation that’s much different than what you see on other Bell models. This one allows no fogging and fatigue since it has more than 19 vent points. This makes it ideal for summertime and areas where it’s always warm and humid.
This will keep the inside of the helmet fresh and cool at all times making it especially suitable for long-distance travels.
Visors and shields are critical points of each helmet because they protect your eyes from wind, weather conditions, bugs, and different debris.
DH comes with an adjustable visor for more convenience and better performance. It makes it easy to customize the shell a little bit, so it fits your face.
There’s enough room for you to wear goggles and other protective eyewear.
Safety Certifications and Features
The DH helmet passed the rigid ASTM 1952 testing and is among the most durable Bell models. It’s packed with several safety features such as chin guard, protective visor and the innovative safety technology.
For years now, Bell featured MIPS which is a low-friction layer between the helmet and head. This is supposed to reduce the transfer of rotational forces in the case of a crash. Super DH has a new Spherical MIPS concept with two layers of foam.
The outer shell has high-density EPS foam while the second layer is EPP that’s a bit lower in density. EPP is closer to your head because it’s softer and more comfortable. There are elastomers between these layers allowing them to move independently.
While this is a unique helmet, it doesn’t have that many special features. The two things that stand out the most are the height adjustable visor and snap-on chin guard.
Both visor and chin guard makes quite a difference since they’re not something you get to see as often. It might not be Bell’s original idea, but it’s the first time they feature something like this.
Super DH has a GoPro mount that’s useful for adventurers who are into off-road and dirt bikes. It’s a small detail, but it’s fun and easy to use for making some great footage.
This one comes in three sizes for you to choose from based on your measurements. The best way to determine which size is the most fitting for you is to check the manufacturer’s sizing chart.
Bell Super DH helmet is among the best-selling models since the day it came out. It’s an improvement on the brand’s original Super that was initially designed for enduro racing.
While the original model was impressive in its own right, it has minor issues that were quite annoying. Luckily, Bell listened and went back to fix the issues by creating a brand new helmet, the Super DH.
As we previously mentioned, it does have some setbacks. Still, there’s nothing particularly wrong with it; it’s just that some things might not suit certain people. The way it fits and feels depends mainly on your preferences.